Tax tips for business owners
1. Take advantage of income splitting by employing your spouse or children. Remember, though, that family members must actually do the work, and their salaries must be reasonable.
2. If you pay salaries to family members, those people may become eligible for Canada or Quebec Pension Plans (CPP/QPP) and RRSP contributions. Talk to your tax advisor for more details.
3. If you have a home office, you might be surprised at the variety of expenses you can deduct at tax time. They include the business portions of your rent, mortgage interest, property taxes, utilities, home insurance, repairs, maintenance and even landscaping. Have a separate phone line installed for your business to maintain accurate records for deductions.
4. If your business incurs non-capital losses and you’re not incorporated, you can save taxes by applying the losses against any other income source reported on your tax return for the year.
5. With some restrictions, you can deduct the costs of attending two professional conventions each year as long as they’re related to your business.
Content provided courtesy of Manulife Investments
© Copyright of this article is held by The Manufacturers Life Insurance Company (Manulife Financial). You are free to make copies of this article and to distribute it, either in paper form or electronically, as long as you do not change or remove any part of this work. All other uses are prohibited.
Manulife Investments is the brand name identifying the personal wealth management lines of business offered by Manulife Financial and its subsidiaries in Canada. As one of Canada’s largest integrated financial services providers, Manulife Investments offers a variety of products and services including segregated funds, mutual funds, principal protected notes, annuities and guaranteed interest contracts.
WealthStyles, Manulife and the block design are registered service marks and trademarks of The Manufacturers Life Insurance Company and are used by it and its affiliates including Manulife Financial Corporation.
Latest posts by Mark Huber (see all)
- How To Be A Success In 21 Days - April 26, 2013
- Mortgage Changes Affecting You – In Effect In 15 Days… - June 26, 2012
- Why I don’t recommend RESPs - July 26, 2010
- How Your RRSPs May Devastate Your Retirement Plan - July 6, 2010
- 21 Tips To Financial Freedom - July 5, 2010